Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My Daily Driver: @steelrat12's Ariel Atom 2


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

I saw a Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson is racing a motorcycle and obliviates it. I wondered if this car was being built in the USA. To my surprise they were, in Ashland Oregon (Brammo Motorsports), only 4 1/2 hrs. from me!

ROADTRIP!!

After test driving the demo English version which was shipped from Ariel England, I was sold hook line and sinker...this car was amazingly fast and nimble. I think I told my wife at the time "it was better than sex"! lol

I placed my order that day.

I also suggested to Brammo that the safety mirror I manufacture in Germany, (The Autobahn Mirror) would be a beneficial safety tool for any driver of this vehicle! After they tested it with various drivers from Car and Driver and Automobile Magazine, everyone agreed how helpful this mirror was!

A few months later I got a call from Brammo Motorsports, Jay Leno was bringing GM on board to supply a limited run of engines. I've done business with Jay years ago so I gave him a call. He convinced me to change my order from the Honda Civic R Type motor to the Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged, 300HP/250Lbs. powerplant.

Leno got the first prototype, 6 were racetrack only built and as it turns out my Atom was the first U.S spec built 300 HP Ariel Atom for private sale!

A few weeks later another call from Brammo was received and was explained that the BBC TOP GEAR show called and they needed to borrow a 300HP Atom and asked if they could use mine. I said sure, so long as my car gets an autograph from Jeremy Clarkson and pics.
I took delivery a month later just in time for the SEMA Show of which I had a booth to display the Autobahn Mirror and Ariel since it became an OEM product on the Atom.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Ownership of this Ariel Atom to say the least is amazing!

No matter where one drives, no matter where one parks, this car brings smiles everywhere. 

The acceleration is so viscerally fast that in 2.6 seconds your are at 60mph. 0-100mph-0 = 10.5 sec!

During its TOP GEAR filming it broke the track record at Buttonwillow's racetrack by 7 seconds..driver was the STIG.

I've raced at Thunder Hill with much success and fanfare and delight to other drivers.

Even after the Atom is stored for a few months over rainy/winter season and I take it out, one forgets how viciously quick and nimble this car still is after 14 years...and all the while putting a smile on your face better than Botox!

I've given hundreds of ride a longs and the response is always the same,  joy, bewilderment and sheer amazement!

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

My fondest memory of owning this car is taking my son and I on a drive to the Ferrari Challenge in Sonoma. The car was a delight to drive and after the race we drove further to the coast along Hwy.1, passing Priuses like they were standing still with the ocean coming and going into view along the twisties that lead to Pt. Reyes.


4. Why do you love cars?

Cars have been a passion of mine since birth. Probably didn't hurt that both parents were German. My father was passinate about his Mercedes Benz that he owned. He taught me to love and respect cars.  Many years later I invited him to sit with me and join me in a parade of which the Atom was a part of many exotic and other unique rare cars....looking back that was very special as well....to see that a part of him did rub off and something we had in common was the joy of the ride and drive!



---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: