Friday, March 27, 2020

My Daily Driver: @slirt's BMW Z4 3.0si 6MT Coupe


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

My 1997 Audi A4 needed replacing and I like each new car to be somehow different than ones I've owned before, and this is a RWD, inline-6 cylinder (and one of BMW's last classic NA motors), 2-seater, all different than my previous 5 cars, most FWD & 4-cylinders (Audi was torsen quattro). At 45 and single I could finally afford & justify the sports car I'd always wanted. Despite its face, I'd always loved the Clownshoe (Z3 Coupe) but it was too old by 2012 for a daily driver, and I love these classic-coupe proportions and Bangle styling, Coupe (E86) more than convertible (E85). I'd had VWs and an Audi, so it was BMW time.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Overall very good, no real BMW horror stories. Run-flat tires were terrible, and even regular replacements are expensive ($1200+set Michelin Pilot SS, or half that for Hankooks; loved the Pilots, Hankooks are fine too). I've had it 8 years now, and a while back there was a mystery (to my indy mechanic and the dealer) not-starting electronic glitch, but it went away after 2 part swaps. Water pump went out (at 69k mi) but no damage; most expensive repair at $1100. Now that it's 13 years old it's plastic parts that are breaking down and needing replacement: washer fluid bottle was one, forget other, but the biggie was the valve cover cracked (yes, it's PLASTIC too) and cam actuator: total $999.51. Headlight lenses are starting to fog up, I've done one restore that didn't last long. It's a street-parked city car, so it has a few scrapes primarily on the front fascia, but overall is aging very well physically as well as in design.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

Toughie! Driving away after trading-in the Audi was a surreal feeling... blasting Malibu canyons with a Ferrari, Viper, and others was pretty epic. My favorite thing about it tho is its rarity: even in L.A. I will go a month or more sometimes without ever seeing another Z4C, making it feel exclusive, and most people think it's more fancy than it really is.


4. Why do you love cars?

I like the aesthetic design aspect, and the cultural role autos have played, and I really enjoy the act of driving and the sense of self and freedom that cars give. The industry itself is also fascinating, from a socioeconomic standpoint, having a huge impact on the planet. Cars are something everyone can relate to.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: