Friday, March 27, 2020

My Daily Driver: @newsjunkeee1's BMW M4 Competition Package


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

I had a 2015 M4 and found it to be in a similar vein of great cars of yore (think the Ferrari 250 GTO but obviously not that awesome) that you could drive every day and then take to the track.  When the lease ran out, I got this one and have enjoyed every single day with it.  I'm 6'6" so I don't fit in every car but I can easily fit in this car with enough head room (sans sun roof) to have a helmet on.  For me, it's the perfect combination of a great GT and a car you can track without worrying if you are going to break it. I instruct for the SCCA and I'm totally comfortable/confident in this car.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

The ownership experience has been great, no real issues.  I picked it up at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC and they treat you extremely well on those deliveries.  For me, the car is really comfortable and there's nothing like getting in those seats to drive home after I've returned from a long, hard business trip.  This car has what must be the latest iDrive which, IMO, works better than Apple CarPlay and the nav interface works well for me.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

I have 2 fondest memories and the both involve long drives 1) Drove the car back from my delivery in Greer, SC home to the MD suburbs.  I stopped in Asheville, NC for the night (amazing town) and then got on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville all the way to Roanoke, VA the next morning, a Saturday.  Got on the road by 8 am and had almost no traffic for 2-3 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is God's gift to us East Coasters.  Clear blue sky, no traffic, great music on my iPhone, nice pace and pretty euphoric driving.  One of the attached pictures is from an overlook of the Pisgah National Forest which is amazing.  2) Drove the car from MD to NH to attend the Team O'Neil Rally school, avoiding I95 like the plague and taking a longer, more scenic route.  I can drive this car comfortably through a tank of gas (400 mile range) and enjoy every minute.


4. Why do you love cars?

Cars are like pieces of art, some are mundane and some excite you to the core and I look around and see a lot of cars that excite me.  I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't hopelessly and passionately in love with cars.  It probably started with my race car pajamas and proceeded through HO cars, slot cars, watching Indy heroes on TV and reading all of the car mags cover to cover.  We are in another golden age of cars and I can't believe how lucky we all are to be able to buy cars with such high levels of performance that still get pretty great mileage and don't need maintenance every 7,500 miles.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: