Tuesday, March 31, 2020

My Daily Driver: @VenomLance's Honda Civic


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

I bought my 2008 Honda Civic after my previous cars (a 1996 Toyota Camry V6 LE and a 1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo) became too expensive to fix. It was my first car that I didn't buy from Craigslist or off the side of the road. Plus, things like anti-lock brakes and more than one airbag seem like cool ideas. I just walked into CarMax one day and pointed to the nearest Civic that fit my price range. I chose the Civic specifically because essentially every generation of Civic is good. They're reliable and cheap to maintain. Also, my family has owned upwards of 20 cars within my lifespan and this is the first Honda. Might as well see what Honda is all about.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

My Civic is not an interesting car. It blends in like the appliance that it is. It is not fast and the 140hp 1.8L engine will get it to highway speed in "enough" seconds. That said, it does have a handbrake and says "VTEC" somewhere on the engine. I have thrown it around many empty church parking lots and barreled down many dirt roads. I would much rather drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. At some point I painted the grille black but I don't remember why. 


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

I drive my Civic nearly every day and most of the time it fails to leave any lasting impression on me. Given the ubiquitous nature of 8th-gen Honda Civics, I've lost it in parking lots and my car doesn't stand out at all. But, I once drove from Baltimore to Detroit and managed to get more than 40 mpg. So that's something.  

4. Why do you love cars?

I love cars because a parasite shaped like a Dodge Aries has lodged itself in my brain and in an effort to replicate itself, has hijacked most of my cognitive function. 

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: