Tuesday, March 24, 2020

My Daily Driver: @judge_mills's Hyundai Sonata Sport


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

After 4 years of Audi A4 ownership and its typical electrical & mechanical gremlins, I started searching for a replacement. Because I'm interested in a wide variety of cars, I casually looked online at many cars which included the Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, Ford Taurus SHO, and Hyundai Elantra Sport. I'm sure there were many more than that. My wife and I stopped by the Hyundai Dealer, as I wanted to find a Elantra Sport with the turbo 1.8. They didn't have any in stock, but they had a new 2017 Sonata Sport with the turbo 2.0. Long story longer, we got the car for $21k new. Couldn't pass up that price! I've been Pro Hyundai since I drove my brother's then-new 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6. Ever since, I've been championing this Korean underdog. I've been happy to see the Genesis take foot and make outstanding cars. 


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

This car has been flawless in 3 years of ownership. We nearly have 50k miles, all trouble free. Zero oil consumption, no rattles or squeaks, no complaints at all. The entertainment system syncs perfectly with our Android & IPhones. It's extremely quick, and averages 33 mpg. Our other daily driver is an old Expedition, so I try to steal this car from my wife as much as possible. 


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

I took this car on 6 hour roundtrip drives every  Monday for 6 months for my daughter's eye therapy visits. That much time in a car really integrates you into the car's traits and personality. I feel like it's my "ride or die", my "Mr. Reliable". 


4. Why do you love cars?

My earliest car memory is being around 3 years old sitting on my grandfather's lap as he let me "drive" his El Camino in abandoned log sorting yards. Ever since its been the my escape subject, my interest outside of "normal" life. A way to make relationships with the greatest people on earth. 

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: