Thursday, March 26, 2020

My Daily Driver: @voiceoflam's Toyota Avalon


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

In 2018, during my sophomore year of college, I had a 2015 Corolla. My parents started to notice my "aggressive" driving style and since I was working at this point for a year or two, suggested (heavily recommended/forced) me into getting another car that was bigger and safer in their minds. Since I would be taking the loan out, I knew I needed something under $20k so that with my trade in I would have a small loan.

I looked at Lexus ES's, GS's. RX's, (can you tell I'm a Toyota/Lexus fanboi?) but it was hard to find a car in that price range with a reasonable year/mileage. I stumbled upon the Avalon because of the V6 and figured it would be the perfect compromise of having all the features I wanted, a great engine and something that wasn't fancy enough to spoil the next car I would get.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Great so far! Bought it with 33k miles in March 2018 and as of March 2020 it has 67k miles. It's been my commuter car for college, to different hospitals for clinicals, and across the country to Colorado and Tennessee. Only mishaps have been a blown tire from a pothole, and an underage driver crashing into me this past Christmas. Other than that, just routine maintenance. It's been the perfect car for all the big and small road trips I've taken, having enough room for all my friends and our stuff. Only downside? The crappy gas mileage, but that can only be blamed on my lead foot. Driving super economically, I've gotten 35 on the highway which is great.

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

Definitely all the road trips. Driving up and down the mountains in Colorado and Tennessee and also just being able to pack all my friends inside and roam around has been nice. Having the "big" car in your friend group works out when you are the one that always wants to drive.


4. Why do you love cars?

I love the variety. I grew up into ordinary cars over supercars, and to this day I am still not interested in the new Mclaren 9345002384LT Spyder.  I also remember going on Edmunds as a kid and just reading all the reviews they would post and being so interested in all the different brands and types of cars out there. Driving has always been the one activity where I can completely relax and clear my mind and that will always stay constant.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: