Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My Daily Driver: @overlandingdad's Toyota Land Cruiser


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

I have been around this truck since I was a teenager. My uncle bought it new and I've always been enamored with it. While visiting my uncle's house, he used this truck to shuttle the whole family to the movie theater during an ice/snowstorm.

I came to acquire the Land Cruiser three years ago. My cousin was using it as his dog-mobile for his Great Dane and English Mastiff. He replaced the LC with an Audi Q5, so the truck was up for grabs and I claimed it.

I'm only the second owner, but the sixth steward of this truck.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Owning an older car or truck can be a bit of a soap opera, and even though Toyotas are known for their reliability, even 25-year-old Toyotas start to deteriorate.

I have rebuilt the front axle. Replaced front and rear calipers, rotors, and pads. I have done all of the coolant hoses in the engine bay except the Pesky Heater Hose. 

I just added lift springs, a steering stabilizer, and replaced the front driveshaft U-Joints. I need to retighten the front wheel bearings and replace the front brake pads.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

Anytime we can use this vehicle to get my kids out into the world a little more, it's a top memory. The best was a weekend trip exploring Western Kansas. 


4. Why do you love cars?

I didn't realize that I loved cars until later in life. I always played with them as a kid and had a blast on go-karts, but my parents stressed getting a job and earning a living. After teaching middle school for a decade, cars began to creep more and more into my life. I bought an '04 Wrangler and drove it all over Florida (off-road and to the Keys). 

I've always been an SUV guy since I realized that I was into automotive. Mainly because of having four kids. My next car purchase needs to be something small enough to autocross/rallycross. Maybe a BRZ.

Ed: Check out Chris's writings and podcast here.
---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: