Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My Daily Driver: @Prmurrow14's Chevy Camaro


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

Well, after graduating college I knew that I wanted another car, something I had dreamed about for most of my childhood. I was cross shopping a WRX STi and a VW GTI. I test drove both, but really didn't like the feeling of the GTI. I was coming from a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GT and one thing I hated about it(among others) was the constant understeer. I felt the GTI had a similar feeling, but I really loved the interior. The WRX had a fantastic feeling but I was kind of scared off by the prospects of high maintenance costs and low interior quality. In addition to that, it had the highest insurance cost of the two. 

Then by pure curiosity I decided to look around at some Camaros in my area. I had fallen in love with the 5th gen Camaro the second I saw it on the movie screen in the first Transformers movie(I know, I know), but I was a kid and it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was initially wasn't even being considered because well, a 6SMT Camaro can't be practical in everyday use, right? Well, yeah. But I went to test drive a 2015 Camaro 1SS at a dealership in Hickory, NC, and the second I heard it start I instantly knew that this was going to be my car. So, that day I went home with a more power than I had ever had at my feet, with a transmission I didn't know how to control. Yeah, I learned manual on the fly. But it was everything I had ever wanted. I had my escape. I had met my goal. I remembered that scene in Transformers when Bumblebee changes from the 1974 Camaro to the 2010 Camaro, and I was just ecstatic. Except when I stalled. That was frustrating. 


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

What has my ownership experience been like? My ownership experience has been fairly tame. No major services have been needed, even though I've put almost 40,000 miles on it since I purchased it in September of 2018. All I have done are regular oil changes, 1 set of tires, TPMS sensors(had one break), a clutch fluid change and one replacement overflow tank(the other one was broken by a rock). But the car has worked surprisingly well for me. I drive it up to 60 miles everyday, I take my dog places in it and I even moved an entertainment center in it once. Yes, it was partially hanging out of the passenger window while I was driving down I-77. 

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

My fondest memory in the car? Easy. Last September my girlfriend and I set off on a 10 hour drive to Watkins Glen, NY from Charlotte, NC in my Camaro for the Vintage Grand Prix Festival. I am a very amateur photographer and have a passion for vintage racing, so this was the perfect chance to mix the two as well as go to a place I had never been. We embarked on the 10 hourish drive at about 4am on a Thursday and came back that Sunday. I was able to drive the car through some beautiful mountains of New York and Pennsylvania, as well as drive it on Watkins Glen itself. Experiences like these are what truly drive me. 


4. Why do you love cars?

Why do I love cars? That's a loaded answer as well! My family has a strong connection with cars and racing! Both my great-grandfather and grandfather raced in NASCAR, as well as various series of dirt track racing(Mini-Sprints, Sprint Cars and Modified's). All of my childhood I went to the Charlotte Auto Fair, NASCAR races, Drag races and basically anything else that involved cars. Cars truly are my escape. There is nothing like driving with the windows down on a warm day, hearing the exhaust crackle when you downshift and maybe taking a corner a little faster than is recommended. 

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: