Saturday, March 28, 2020

My Daily Driver: @knoffc's Mazda5 (with a manual transmission!)


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

This car has actually been in my family a long time- my Dad wanted something that was spacious and could carry a lot of people/stuff, but didn't want a full-sized minivan or a crossover. He settled on the 5 since he also liked the idea of driving stick. When he couldn't find one with the 5spd on the used market, my perpetually frugal father took the unusual step of buying one brand new from the dealership.

A few years ago after I got divorced, he sold it to me on the cheap so I had something reliable to drive, and that's when my love affair with the car started.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

So far I've racked up 40000 enjoyment-filled, trouble-free miles. I don't think there's a single other vehicle out there that combines as much functionality and fun in such a small footprint (it's shorter and narrower than the current Civic sedan.) There's been trips to school, the hardware store, the family cabin, the Black Hills, and even Devil's Tower. Somewhere along the way, I started buying stickers of the places the van had taken me and adding them to the rear windshield.

Earlier this year my girlfriend and I purchased our first vehicle together, a 2017 CX-5. Since I usually do the school runs, we decided it made more sense for me to drive the newer, safer vehicle to cart the kids around in. But after one week I missed my van too much and went back to having it as my daily driver.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

It's tough to pick a single memory, but one thing that consistently brings a smile to my face is attempting to set speed records flying through empty roundabouts. There's no greater joy than timing a downshift just right so you tap into all 153hp at just the right moment to slingshot you off the final curve.


4. Why do you love cars?

I have loved cars as long as I can remember. My parents have drawings I made in preschool of my Dad's "cool black car," a mid 80's Dodge Daytona. As I've gotten older, I've begun to see cars in a bit more appliancelike light- as cool as a Miata sounds, you can't fit a 2x4 in it, and certainly not both of my kids. But instead of being bummed by this realization, I've made it my goal to continue enjoying what I drive, and my Mazda5 is perfect for that.


---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: