Monday, March 30, 2020

My Daily Driver: @Guerrero_FJ's VW Phaeton


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

This is the 2nd Phaeton I have owned, MY 2005 VW Phaeton V8. I bought it in 2014. I had a 2004 black one from 2008-2013. I've fallen in love with the Phaeton's character and attention to detail, and when the opportunity came up to buy a second one in 2014, I did it nearly the same day I found it. It has been a daily driver of sorts, since when I was working in SF, I took the train most of the time, so I've kept the miles low.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

It has been great but it hasn't been cheap but it has been much better than its infamous fame. I bought the car at 98K miles and now it's about to reach 135K miles. It has never left me stranded, but we had to fix things like AC, AC vents, headlights, new batteries, headlight controller, trunk wire harness repair. Needs a couple of cosmetic fixes. Having the Phaeton-Meister in the Bay Area helps, as he is the guru of all things Phaeton and we fixed the cool wood AC vents ourselves one time. I call my Phaeton 'Princess Furiosa'

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

A couple of years ago we took the car with the whole family to Yosemite in winter time. Car was turning 125K miles and did great.  Car performed flawlessly during the 3 day trip. That was an awesome family trip. No need for a SUV. I should take more long trips with the Phaeton. Also, I've made great friends thanks to it, like a future Supreme Court Judge kick-ass attorney I met who also had a Phaeton.


4. Why do you love cars?

It all started with my dad (RIP), who loved big sedans (LeBaron, Caprice) and VWs as well. Then in college I lived in front of a Mitsubishi dealer, stoking the obsession even more. It has been a lifetime of heavy car love, and I still go to Dawn Patrol (poor peasant version) at the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach whenever I can and now that I have finally learned to take a car to the track, I am enjoying it even more.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: