Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Used Volvo V50 review with English subtitles

The search continues, but it's been difficult. In over six months, I found V50s with manual transmissions only in Massachusetts (1), Florida (1), Minnesota (1), and Rhode Island (1). The only one I found in California (in Sacramento) has a salvage title.

I am more and more interested in the E350 wagon. It's more car than I need but I like the look and the power. Reliability and the cost of repair are big issues. Some can be had for less than the newer V50s.

One question has come up. Once these luxury cars go to the used car market and out of warranty...what happens when the car needs a $6,000 repair? Do the owners just shell out the money? Ignore the problem and drive it to the ground? Sell the car to unsuspecting dopes? Take it to the scrap yard? While you ponder that, here is a V50 review in Dutch. Press "CC" for English. I'm envious of all the engine choices you have in Euroland.

9 comments:

Ed Kim said...

Good questions, all. I applaud the effort to find one with a manual. A few years ago, when I was shopping for a V50 myself, I ended up completely resigned to owning an automatic.

Oddly enough, I ended up with a conceptually similar car, with a manual, which I drive to this day - a 2010 VW Jetta SportWagen. Five-cylinder gasoline engine and a manual transmission. Not nearly as good looking as the Volvo, but similar in size, layout, and hey, it's got a manual!

Ed Kim said...

A little off topic, but after watching the video, I totally feel like Dutch sounds like a combination of German and American English (because of the rhotic r pronunciation), played backwards. I've actually been to the Netherlands four times, but could never pin down what it sounds like until now.

Maxichamp said...

@Ed: Yeah, it would be a lot easier if I got a Jetta or Subie wagon. But I can wait, so I will.

Good point re the Dutch. My wife's great-grandfather was a preacher in the Dakotas. He had to stop giving his sermons in Dutch during World War I because it sounded too much like German.

Chris Diamond said...

I read your blog quite frequently but just now decided to wade in.

Have you test driven a manual C30 before? I was under the impression that the C30 and V50 (at least in T5 guise) had fairly similar driving dynamics, neglecting the V50's slight increase in size. I drove one 4 years ago or so and found the stick a bit meh and the car not terribly exciting enough overall. But expectations for coupes are different.

And what about a late 9-3 wagon? Not as reliable, I would imagine, but there are more stick ones about.

Maxichamp said...

@Chris Hi Chris, thanks for commenting (and reading)! I've never driven a C30. The plan is to put the wife in a Fiat 500 so I need at least four doors for my car. Plus, I want the dog to have his own little comfy spot. Hence, the wagon.

I did drive an automatic V50 once. It was definitely nothing to write home about. But I really like the interior and exterior styling and the size is just right.

Anna said...

I'm considering an E60 M5 (don't worry it won't ever happen) and was researching extended warranties. $100 a month seems to be the average price for full coverage right up to catastrophic engine failure.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Do it!

Chris Diamond said...

Ah! What I meant was you should test drive a 6-speed C30 to see if you like the feel of it -- as it would be pretty similar to the 6 (5?) speed V50, and it wouldn't involve driving out of the state before determining if you like it. Or so I would imagine. Not to convince you to abandon the practicality of a wagon....

Maxichamp said...

@Chris: Good idea. I'll check out the C30's transmission.