Saturday, November 30, 2013

KAL 902 shot down by Su-15 near Soviet-Finnish border


With China recently expanding its airspace over some disputed islands, the U.S. and Japanese militaries have been testing China's resolve by repeatedly flying into the zone. However, the USG just advised American commercial air carriers to comply with China's declaration.

This all led me to think about Korean Air flight number 007, in which a 747 was shot down in the Soviet Far East by a Sukhoi Su-15. What I didn't realize was that another Korean Air passenger plane was shot down near Murmansk.


In 1978, for reasons I cannot comprehend, Korean Air flight number 902, heading from Paris to Alaska, made a sharp right turn, ended up in Murmansk, and was promptly shot down.


Full story here.

More photos of the plane here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about this, thanks for posting it. I wish the Soviets had done the same with flight 007.