Saturday, March 02, 2013

New-ish navigation disc

One of the downsides of owning an eight year old car is the antiquated navigation system. To make it worse, I don't think the VW's system was anything to write home about even when it was new. I had been using the original disc (copyright 2004). I just bought a compatible BMW disc (copyright 2010) from a guy on VW Vortex, and I'm not wowed by the result.

I entered into the navigation system "Kapalua", a swanky resort community in West Maui. There has been a bit of development between 2004 and 2010, and I thought I'd see a significant difference on the screen.

2004:
 2010:
 2004:
 2010:

2 comments:

Edvin said...

Yeah, that's the bad part about aging luxury cars, electronics age faster than anything else. Do you know if the hardware could be upgraded using parts from a newer car? Or maybe there are firmware upgrades for the current system?

Maxichamp said...

@Edvin: I have no idea and don't want to tempt fate by tinkering with the electronics. I am kind of a purist and don't like modifications. Even this disc upgrade was pushing the envelope for me.