Saturday, March 02, 2013

Visiting two Oakland museums

We stopped by the Oakland Museum of California today because I read about an exhibit featuring 200,000 fortune cookies.  Alas, it was not at that museum.  We went in anyway.  Here are a few things that caught my attention.

Beth Yarnelle Edwards's Suburban Dreams series captures people in their Silicon Valley homes.  They are beautiful and thought-provoking. This is a photo entitled "Art and Carol". It shows the photographer's father and step-mother at home.


There were also about a dozen or so Dorothea Lange photos. Two of them caught my attention. The first is called "Pay Day". It was taken at the Richmond shipyard during World War II.


This untitled photo shows a northern Minnesota man who, along with his community of 200 families, were moved by FDR to Matanuska, Alaska, to establish a New Deal colony.


The museum also has a California history exhibit. This car reminded me of The Grapes of Wrath. Because Okies.


The fortune cookie piece was at the art museum belonging to nearby Mills College. Though I have lived in the area for nearly two decades, I had never visited the campus before. It's beautiful.

Hung Liu is an art professor at Mills and a prominent Chinese-American artist. If you have ever used Terminal 2 (the Southwest Airlines terminal) at Oakland airport, then you've seen her work. The fortune cookie and railroad ties piece was fantastic and exciting to see in real life.





1 comment:

Ozmac said...

I like all the images you show here, but it's those fortune cookies which got to me, too. Wonderful. In fact they remind me of a similarly impressive, conical pile of fake ceramic sunflower seeds created by another Chinese artist, Ai Weiwei, which is in the White Rabbit gallery here in Sydney. If you're interested, here's a link to a little YouTube video on Ai Weiwei's sunflower heap. I love contemporary Chinese art!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueYywpkJW8