Saturday, April 25, 2015

Cars I've owned retrospective

As I embark on getting my 7th car, here is a look back at all the cars I have had.

1. 1983 or 1984 Isuzu Impulse Special Edition. Gold rims and funky styling. I actually disliked the looks of this car when I owned it in high school. But I very much appreciate it now. Note that this was an early Impulse. No turbo and no "Handling By Lotus".


2. 1993 Jeep Wrangler. This anemic truckette was a lot of fun. I drove across the country four times in it, without A/C, a radio, or cruise control. It was brutal in DC summers with a suit on, stuck in Beltway traffic. Here is a shot of it in Shenandoah.


3. 2001 BMW E46 330i. It was fully loaded-- Sports and Premium packages. My first new car. It was fantastic. This is a photo I found online. But mine was also black on black and had the same wheels.


2004 Acura TSX. The shifting action was perfect. I regret selling it.


2005 VW Phaeton. The greatest car I'll ever have had.


2006 Volvo V50 T5. It was perfect for what I needed. Compact, roomy, quick, anonymous, and a sufficiently pre-roughed up interior for my sharp clawed dog.


5 comments:

Saxphile said...

Didn't know you had a TSX! Well, I guess you would understand my suggestion of a TSX wagon, but the right model years weren't available in the US. I considered buying a used import from Japan (which I don't like to do since JDM cars rarely have more than two airbags), but they were only available with the slush box.

Francisco said...

Nice! My current Daily Driver is also a e46 - 2002 330ci couple - same as yours fully loaded. Mine has Nav and 5 speed. Love it.

Did you see mr Piech was shown the door at VW?? My thoughts on King Piech and the Phaeton are here:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/an-ode-to-the-mad-king-piech-leader-of-vw-and-father-1700215309

Hope the next car is also as interesting as the ones before. I wanted so bad an Isuzu Impulse with the whole thing, including Lotus Badges!

Maxichamp said...

@Charles: I thought you knew. Do a lot of JDM cars end up in NZ?

Maxichamp said...

@Francisco: That inline 6 is sa-weet.

I drove the Saab Turbo X today. Very interesting. Too interesting.

Ed Kim said...

You've certainly owned some interesting ones, right from the start! I mean, who has owned both an Impulse and a Phaeton? Oh, and a V50 T5 with a manual?