Monday, May 20, 2013

2013 Q1 Colombia kidnapping stats


I have an ongoing debate with my friends and wife. I posit that my bus trip across Central America was much more dangerous than my upcoming bus trip across Colombia. With the government and FARC rebels negotiating permanent peace in Havana right now, the prospects look good.

In the first quarter of 2013, 58 people were kidnapped. This is a 40% drop compared with the same period last year. Of the 58 kidnappings, 69% were by criminals, 19% were by FARC, 10% by the other guerrilla group the ELN, and 2% by paramilitary drug gangs.

And of the 58 people, 25 were released, 17 rescued by police, 7 remain in captivity, 6 were delivered due to official pressure, and 3 escaped. Best of all, none died in custody.

I feel much better.

No comments: