Friday, July 16, 2010

Car books at Powell's Books in Portland


Powell's Books is huge.  It takes up an entire Portland, Oregon, city block and contains three stories of new and used books.  Last time I was there, I spent almost half a day there.  I was there so long, I took not one, but TWO bathroom breaks.  I ended up with a Japanese-edition, super glossy book on the Citroen SM, Illustrated Motor Cars of the World (the first car book I remember reading as a child), and about eight British car buying guides from the 70s and 80s.

My copy even smells exactly the same as the copy I read as a child!

Well, I'm probably going to be up in Portland fairly soon.  Before I liberate the store of more obscure car books, I'm graciously giving you guys a chance to peruse and buy its inventory of 1,227 used automotive books.  Act fast.

4 comments:

Alan said...

The SM book sounds excellent. Any chance we could get some scans?

I love finding vintage Automobile Quarterly's at used book stores.

Maxichamp said...

I don't know how to work my scanner. I'll take some pics and post them this weekend. I'll try to find some content not usually found on the net, like the mfr's recommended service schedule (in French), Japanese ads, and Morroco Rally pics.

longrooffan said...

Kashgar: Thanks for the link. I found the book I so enjoyed as a kid and bought it for $5.20. Their last copy. Awesome as I have been looking far and wide for a copy of it. Thanks again. Oh, the book can be found in the first image of this post.

http://hooniverse.com/2010/05/01/how-this-hoon-became-a-hoon/

Thanks again. John

Maxichamp said...

John: Glad to hear! Enjoy that book, and the nostalgia.