Saturday, June 09, 2012

Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You

Being stubbornly and annoyingly contrarian, I've eschewed many popular movies and blockbusters.  One of those movies is 1992's The Bodyguard, starring Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner.  I put the movie on my Netflix queue after Houston's passing and finally saw it last night.  The acting was bad, the writing worse, and there was zero chemistry between the leads.

Dolly Parton wrote I Will Always Love You, the most popular song from The Bodyguard.  Here is her 1974 performance.

  

So this begs the question, how was Titanic?  Overrated?  I plan to be the last person on the planet to watch it.

5 comments:

Alan said...

Titanic is awful, it's manipulative and corny. Great set design and special affects, though.

I've never seen Avatar, any of the Transformers movies, The Avengers, X- Men nor pretty much any superhero movie besides Nolan Batman movies which I'm sure you know are amazing.

I saw Prometheus last night, and it was amazingly good.

Anonymous said...

What's going on with that presenter's jacket!

I think Titanic is worth watching for the historical reconstruction. I don't remember what I thought about the movie itself (I was too little when I saw it).

But now Avatar has been mentioned... I HATE that film. Just a preachy cliché after another. And with all the hype... in summary, yuck!

Edvin said...

I agree with Alan. Not a fan of the big blockbusters and cartoon based movies, except Batman. I like the new darker Batman, but I still prefer Burton's '89 and '92 as they were my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Titanic isn't too bad, just a bit too long and sappy.

I too saw Prometheus earlier this week and liked it. I'd give it 8/10. As a fan of the Alien-series it was highly anticipated.

steve-vh said...

You'll have some competition with Titanic.......

Lukas said...

More competition from me. Don't think I've watched any movies at all in the past 6 months (cinema, TV, web).