Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Guess who's ready to finally sell his Merkur?

Update: I plead temporary insanity.  No Merkurs will be bought.

Doh!  Back in May, I spotted this car and told the owner to call me if he ever decides to sell it.

He called me this morning.

Ugh, what should I do?  Had he called a month earlier, I would have just kept the Acura and bought this as a weekend project car.

I'm gonna check it out tonight...

I need lots of input from you guys.  I can still back out of the Phaeton deal.  I am supposed to see the VW this Friday morning.

6 comments:

Alan said...

Let's see, Bentley in stealth suit or a rattly old Ford?

The Merkur's very cool, but the Phaeton's in a different league. If running costs aren't an issue, there's no question in my mind which one I'd take.

mtc said...

phaeton. no brainer.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan and mtc: No Merkur will be purchased.

The Oldtimer with the Merkur had quite a collection-- TR7 convertible, TR7 coupe, MGB, MG GT, Jag Mark 10. It's like a real live version of Bring A Trailer.

F1Outsider said...

I'm a bit late to the party, but if it matters... I agree with Alan & mtc.

Zackswheels said...

I say go with the Kraut Ford. The big VW is very, very cool but I think you'll bankrupt yourself just keeping little electronic gremlins at bay. Meanwhile the Merkur has a certain quality, maybe its the 80-ishness or something that you just can't quite put your finger on. Both cars are very likely to illicit questions in the parking lot and both are quirky in their own way, but I think you'll get more enjoyment out of the Merkur. What's the trim of the Merkur, turbo?

Edvin said...

I'm with the majority here, VW.