Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Bucket list item #95: Ride in the back of a Toyota Century

If your parents are retired, chances are, they have a lot of spare time.  Ask them to do a simple task, and they will spend days weeks doing the research and plotting out the most trivial of details.

I talked to my male parental unit about my trip next year to Japan.

"What do you want to do when you are here?"

I thought to myself-- Hmm, maybe I'll give him a challenging task that will keep him occupied for months.

"I'd like to ride in a Toyota Century."

Now my father definitely does not know any high ranking LDP members or keiretsu CEOs.  So this will be next to impossible.  That he listed and asked me the specific trim level I preferred to ride in both surprised me and gave me a glimmer of hope.

5 comments:

Rich said...

Totally easy if you aren't particular about the year/trim, and if you're willing to hire the car for the full garage-job-garage duration: http://www.nihon-kotsu.co.jp/hire/fare/ (And I see it advertised from many other "hired car" companies.)

Maxichamp said...

@Rich: I'll look into this. My dad may still have some acquaintances of the "Goodfellas" persuasion who also favor certain black cars. It'll be a great compare/contrast piece.

midelectric said...

I like how they ignore everything from the middle of the car forward. Who cares what's up front, the real action is in the back!

Alan said...

Your dad has Yakuza connects? Wow.

Maxichamp said...

@midelectric: It's all about the customer.

@Alan: Very tenuous connects.