As both a Sagan and Porsche fan, I don't know how I've missed this connection. It's a comforting thought, that a man who understood more about the universe and intricacy of life than most of us, still enjoyed the lesser things in life despite science being such a humbling and perhaps even cynicism-inducing experience.
Yes, Sagan's Porsche was a lighter, brighter "Signal Orange", but more importantly it was a 1970 Porsche 914 and not a 911 like this car. Here is a picture of Sagan sitting on his orange 914 with the well-known, black license plate with "PHOBOS" in white letters: https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/s-l1600-57-e1461681214655-630x354.jpg
3 comments:
As both a Sagan and Porsche fan, I don't know how I've missed this connection. It's a comforting thought, that a man who understood more about the universe and intricacy of life than most of us, still enjoyed the lesser things in life despite science being such a humbling and perhaps even cynicism-inducing experience.
The Carl Sagan Porsche was orange and not red.
I shot that picture in 1977 at the University of Arizona.
The image reproduced a slight shift in colors from the photograph after I scanned it for my web page.
Original full size image here:
https://al-paslow.smugmug.com/Other/Carl-Sagans-Porsche-at-the/i-BzBzbTM/A
Al Paslow
Yes, Sagan's Porsche was a lighter, brighter "Signal Orange", but more importantly it was a 1970 Porsche 914 and not a 911 like this car. Here is a picture of Sagan sitting on his orange 914 with the well-known, black license plate with "PHOBOS" in white letters:
https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/s-l1600-57-e1461681214655-630x354.jpg
Post a Comment