I am going to do a more in-depth write-up this weekend, but here are some highlights:
- He joined the Chinese Communist Party in 1924, making him somewhere between the 421st to 899th member.
- He got booted by the Party in 1927 for being "proud, arrogant, arbitrary, and took matters into his own hands." There has to be a good story here.
- He was the last KMT governor of Hebei Province before the Communist takeover.
- He was a member of the first National Assembly in Nanjing in 1948 and elected Chiang Kai-Shek president.
- Once he fled to Taiwan, he continued to serve in the National Assembly and was Deputy Transportation Minister.
I find it funny that when I lived with him, we got around almost exclusively by bus. Very proletarian.