Friday, July 11, 2014

Any Alpina experts out there?


Cooper and I saw this beast while waiting for my wife outside the grocery store. In fact, we heard it before we saw it. I had to wait for the owner with the cowboy hat to step away from the car before I did a creepy walkaround of it. It seems to have every conceivable option ever offered, from sunshades to that BMW badge on the bottom of the B-pillar. It has a Montana plate that reads "ALPINA".

Apparently, the earlier B12 E38s had the 5.7 liter engine and the later E38s had the 6 liter. But I guess the preliminary question is: Is this a real Alpina?

3 comments:

mtc said...

Hard to say definitively without more information, but I am inclined to say no.

https://www.google.com/search?q=e38+alpina&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS561US561&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vPnBU5n7EoGKyATDzoCwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=600

Gregory said...

Alpinas usually have the classic multi-bladed Alpina wheels, kind of a major part of Alpinaness, and those are just M-parallels; it would be an odd choice to swap those onto a real Alpina.

Maxichamp said...

@mtc and @Gregory: Per Alpina GB, this is not a real Alpina.