Saturday, May 03, 2014

Toyota Soarer Aerocabin video

On Bring A Trailer, there is a great write-up about a rare Aerocabin sold in, of all places, Richmond, Virginia.


Here is my Soarer story, which I may have told snippets of already. 

I knew these brothers, Bobby and Eddie. They were about ten years older than me. Family friends. In fact, their mother owned the restaurant next door to my family's restaurant in Yokohama's Chinatown. They both attended the American school.

In the mid-80s, they moved to Southern California to attend college. I remember visiting them. Eddie shipped his white Toyota Soarer (non-Aerocabin) here. His brother Bobby had a no-doubt gray-market Alpina E21. I think Bobby also had a non-running Indian motorcycle that he was trying to bring back to life.

Fast forward 20 years later, and I was at a Korean BBQ joint in Oakland. I saw a white Soarer, just like Eddie's. I'm sure there are probably more than a few Soarers in California, but I've always wondered if that used to belong to Eddie.

2 comments:

Rich said...

I love that warning buzzer. Sounds straight out of a microbus parts bin.

Maxichamp said...

@rchen: Did you know there is one of these Toyota tour buses on Maui?