The original prize was established in 1714. It sought a simple and practical method of determining longitude at sea. The amount of the prize was based on how accurate the solution was.
A British charity is renewing the prize. The public (UK only) gets to choose what the challenge should be. The candidates/challenges are:
- Flight - How can we fly without damaging the environment?
- Food - How can we ensure everyone has nutritious sustainable food?
- Antibiotics - How can we prevent the rise of resistance to antibiotics?
- Paralysis - How can we restore movement to those with paralysis?
- Water - How can we ensure everyone has access to safe and clean water?
- Dementia - How can we help people with dementia live independently for longer?