Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Havana, Day 4

Our last day in Havana.

We started with a presentation by a LGBT rights advocate who happens to be a cancer ICU physician. 

We then went to the Museum of Cuban Art. I was expecting a lot of propaganda art like in the Soviet Union and North Korea, but I saw something else entirely.

Wilfredo Lam was Cuba's greatest artist. He studied and worked with Picasso. This piece reminded me of Guernica.











This 1976 painting by a Chinese-Cuban artist reminded me of my parents' 1973 wedding photo. Identical!








I wanted to visit the Museum of the Revolution but it was being renovated. So I took these photos of vehicles involved in successful and attempted coups.





Lunch was at Al Carbon. Very protein heavy. The band got a couple of people from our group to join in.


The afternoon was free and I continued my search for a Chaika. I got a ride in a tuk-tuk.




I did get a photo of a Peugeot convertible taxi. Probably the only one in existence.


Having failed once again, I got a ride back to my B&B in a tired Lada.


Before dinner, we enjoyed a private performance by the Havana Youth Orchestra in an old church. The acoustics were awesome. The music was a mix of classical with a Cuban influence.

Our tour operator rented out a dozen classic American convertibles and had them drive us from the church to our dinner. We went along the Malecon, horns beeping, engines revving, and Yankees yelping the entire way. Very obnoxious but fun.

Our farewell dinner was at one of our tour guide's home. He splits his time between Havana and Miami and is an art enthusiast. We all had a great time.

The next day, I flew out. I highly encourage all of you to visit Cuba!


2 comments:

@slirt said...

Al Carbon, only "protein heavy”? Did it live up to Guy's DDD-worthiness?

Maxichamp said...

@Slirt: I guess so. It was just huge chunks of flavorful pork, chicken, and fish. No sauces or sides. I have to rewatch that episode.