Sunday, May 11, 2014

Godzilla

I listened to a Fresh Air podcast on Godzilla and came to the realization that I have never seen an entire Godzilla movie. I was shocked to learn that Japan made 28 movies and that there is even a North Korean version.

So yesterday, I started with the original. Well, the Americanized original. It appears that the American version adapted the Japanese version by adding Raymond Burr to the original movie.


I then skipped to the 1969 version, which was just awful.


The North Korean version is interesting. Kim Jong-Il kidnapped a South Korean director to make this movie. It's a story about taking revenge on brutal capitalists. Where can I find this movie?


Does anyone have any recommendations for any other versions worth watching?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I can't believe Pulgasari was shown in Japan! As your trailer is in Japanese, I looked it up on Wikipedia and there even says that both the special-effects experts and the guy inside the suit were Japanese Godzilla-veterans. How can it be?

Maxichamp said...

@Ripituc: I can only assume Kim paid a lot of money. Also, if Kim asked you to do something (even in Japan), you probably would want to do it and not have to worry about you or your family being kidnapped.