Sunday, November 01, 2009

2009 The Best of France And Italy: Photos of My Favorite Cars

I just got back from The Best of France And Italy, held in Van Nuys, California. It was an awesome experience, despite the 93 degree baking heat (in November, mind you). My only disappointment was the lack of Alfa Romeo Montreals (there was only one). I had intended on making a collage using shots of Montreal B-pillars. Oh well.

I went with my step-dad. He knows nothing about cars. Nothing. That's why I was shocked to learn that he used to own a Fiat 600 Multipla (!) and a Renault Dauphine (!!). Oh, and he turned down a chance to buy a Merc Gullwing for $2,000 (!!!). W. T. F.

Renault Alpine. First Alpine I've ever seen. The rear reminds me of a first generation RX7 or a Porsche 944.



Renault Caravelle. A fellow admirer told me he remembered TV commercials for the Caravelle in which Renault touted the front trunk's ability to act as an ice chest for beach parties.


There were lots of Citroens, especially SMs.

A lot of Facel Vegas also.
Lancia Fulvia Sport 1600.
Rear end of Lancia reminds me of a Toyota 2000GT.

Tatra T87. There was a constant crowd around this beast. I was not able to take a clean shot. How is this French or Italian?




Fiat X1/9 with Martini livery.

Fiat 130 Coupe.

This Fiat 124 Abarth coupe looks very Japanese.
Yellow Ghibli.

Quattroporte III.


Another Tatra, this one is a newer Tatra 603. Cool old school Grundig head unit inside.




6 comments:

F1 Outsider said...

Haha! I hope you allowed him to keep his ignorance with regards to the Merc Gullwing... One might kill himself after realizing a mistake like that.

Alan said...

Great photos and funny story, thanks. I think I might just have to be wheeled off upon seeing so many Tatras, Citroens and Lancias in one place.

Anonymous said...

No picture of the 1999 Multipla?

Jim

Maxichamp said...

Sorry, mate. I noticed the 1999 Multipla but did not take a picture of it. I'm not used to the heat so I was really selective about the pictures I took. You can tell from looking at the photos how glary it was that day. I know, I'm a big baby.

Jim Magill said...

Oops... Really should of checked back here a few more times in the Last year. Anyway the Multipla stayed in LA for the winter and I few out from Ireland and got it and brought it back in March.
Nice pic of it on they way...

http://yfrog.com/g4f57hj

Jim

Maxichamp said...

@Jim: Wow! You must have quite a story with that Multipla. Is it still in the U.S.?