Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Matchbox Tow Trucks

In my make-belief town, cars broke down. Fortunately, everyone had AAA tow coverage and I had three tow trucks on-call.

My favorite of the three was this Matchbox Freightliner.


Here it is towing a temperamental Matchbox Citroen CX.


This Matchbox Foden tilt cab was an odd duck. As its name states, the blue cab tilts forward 90 degrees.


Foden carrying a Tomica Fix It Again Tony X 1/9.


This Matchbox Leyland truck was a mystery to me. I never knew what the two holes on the bed were for. I used to get those toothpicks from club sandwiches with the colorful plastic on one end and stick them in the holes. Kids.


Going back to the unreliable French theme, here is a Matchbox Renault 5 getting a ride to the shop. I understand the scales are way out of proportion, but hey, I was eight!


11 comments:

longrooffan said...

Tamerlane: That Matchbox Leyland truck had gray U-shaped brackets that were secured in those holes and the U-shaped brackets carried sections of pipe. The pipe was red if this old mind remembers correctly. I pulled those brackets out of mine, back in the day, the first time I played with it.

Hino Trucks said...

I used to have that truck as a child, wonder what its worth now.

Auto1 said...

How old are these?

Auto Professionals said...

I love Matchbox, some of the new models are ok as well.

Ben Cousins said...

Some of those look like they need some paint and a little tlc.

Truck said...

I have to agree with Ben on that one.

Nissan4x4 said...

I love the Freightliner the best as well.

Free Stuff said...

Here it is towing a temperamental Matchbox Citroen CX.....just like real life :)

Mercedes-Benz said...

Hey I own a Citroen CX. They are not that bad

Automotive Recruitment said...

Foden tilt cab was great, used to use it to open shelled peanuts.

Hino said...

Thanks for the memories.