Monday, July 31, 2017

Congolese dandies and Venezuelan skyscraper squatters

I find that RT, CCTV, and Al Jazeera run fascinating pieces, so long as they are not about a topic in which their respective state sponsors (Russia, China, Qatar) have a vested interest. For example, I am not going to watch an RT documentary about the "real story" behind the shooting down of MH17.

But these two stories... The first is about impoverished Congolese men who spend all of their money on fancy clothes. I can't help but wonder if some of them are closeted. The Venezuelan story is about a bunch of squatters who took over a half-finished skyscraper. If you are wondering why the residents are in such great shape, it's because they have to climb all those stairs!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a book I read about a few years ago http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/6560835/Gentlemen-of-Bacongo-Sir-Paul-Smith-on-shanty-town-dandies.html