Monday, February 01, 2010

What Does Baiju Taste Like?

I've never had baiju before. It's a Chinese liquor made from sorghum or a combination of other local grains. It's mentioned in every book about travel to China. No one has ever had anything positive to say about it.

I went to the local Asian market and bought a bottle. I picked Red Star Brand because the label looks very old school Red China. Some research done after I got home confirmed that this is the most popular brand amongst blue collar guys in northeastern China. For the record, it's 112 proof. I will now proceed to drink a shot. While I pour myself a glass, here is a primer. The brand I got is shown in the beginning of the video, in the scene where the guy is playing the guitar.


Verdict: Just pouring it, I could smell the alcohol. This stuff is strong, bad, but drinkable. After I downed it, my eyes were shut for five seconds because my head felt stung. My throat, my stomach, and everything in between, were burning. When I inhaled through my mouth, I felt flammable. The aftertaste can best be described as the taste and feeling you get after you've been sick already.

No comments: