Saturday, February 27, 2010

1986 Porsche 928S for sale

My daily driver is getting long in the tooth. I sense a catastrophic meltdown at any moment. So I've been given the green light by my better half to get a new car.

So far, I've found a 1998 Alfa Romeo Spyder, a "limited edition" 450SEL, and this.

The most amazing thing about this well cared for example is that it's a one-owner car and comes with a phone book worth of records. That is worth at least a couple of grand in peace of mind. I'm not too crazy about the color or the automatic transmission, but it looks like a good deal for anyone who has lusted for one of these since watching Weird Science.




I have always preferred the older 928s with the smaller, more discreet tail lamps. The period correct blue and gold California plates are rare too.


3 comments:

Edvin said...

Oh how I wish I were in your shoes, buying a DD in California. I'd have a hard time choosing too. Out of those three I'd go for the Alfa. Certainly the most interesting choice. The Merc is cool but those US bumpers... The Porsche is groovy but I'm not sure it's a great DD?

Browsing thru craigslist now and there are lot's of cars that I'd buy in a heartbeat if they were over here and the price was the same, but they're not that exciting. I'd be really torn between a semi-sensible DD or something really fun but silly. :)

Alan said...

The Alfa will be a nightmare to register properly. There was a thread on the car on Bring a Trailer a few months back, apparently lots of iffy loopholes were used in federalizing it. Still, gem of a car, good luck with it if you chose to go that route.

The 928 is really pretty, auto or not. Be prepared for a monthly maintenance/repair account funded to the tune of a monthly payment on a Nissan Versa. Worth it of course.

MattC said...

Talk about a happy dilemma, I love the Porsche 928 and the Alfa. Of the two, it will be easier to source parts and service for the Porsche. Proper maintenance and documentation is the key to a happy Porsche experience, but be prepared to fork out money if a repair exceeds your skill level.