Saturday, September 29, 2012

Losing the SPAM war


I turned off the Captcha function this week in order to make it easier for you, my dear readers, to post comments.  But now, I am flooded with spam comments advertising everything from Filipino mud flaps to Australian light-duty truck dealerships.  So I am turning the function back on.  I am sorry.

For those of you with blogs, what is the most effective way of blocking spam comments (while at the same time making your reader experience relatively drama-free)?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only idea is to change the comment's configuration and make them all need a review by you before being published. That would work if you are connected most of the time.

As my blog is nowhere near as popular I don't have much trouble with spam. There is a couple from time to time that come though, but most are automatically detected by Google and not posted.

Maxichamp said...

@Viva: Good idea.

mtc said...

As painful as it may be, maybe the time has come to migrate to Wordpress.com -- I find the spam filter and controls there to be very good. I also like that I can subscribe to comments, which I don't think (?) I can do with Blogger.

Maxichamp said...

@mtc: Never! I'm going to stick with Blogger until the day I die!

But seriously, when people tell me they want to start a blog, I tell them to use Wordpress.

How big of a pain in the ass is it to migrate everything? Can I pay a kid to do this for me?

mtc said...

Can I pay a kid to do this for me?

If you trust an outsider with your precious site (and trust them to do it right), then yes, probably! Not that I speak from personal experience, but I understand you can outsource just about all of one's dirty work/administrative chores these days. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir since you seem more tech-savvy and in-the-know when it comes to these things than me.