Tuesday, March 06, 2012

1993 Lexus LS400 for sale (plus bonus interview with Alan!)


Longtime commenter Alan is parting with his LS400.  Scroll down to see pictures of the car, an insightful interview, and the Craigslist link.  Enjoy!

1. Why did you buy an LS400?
I’d had a string of old, rattly and uncomfortable sports cars and
wanted to try something new for a change.  I had my heart set on a
W124 (wagon or coupe, especially) or a pre-Bangle 7 series, but was
afraid of potentially high running costs.

Richard Porter bought a similar first-gen LS and had written several
positive ownership reports in EVO and also spoke highly of the car on
the Sniff Petrol/Gareth Jones on Speed podcast.  These caught my
interest, and as I began to research the car more deeply I became
really intrigued by the scale and scope of its development.



2. What should a prospective buyer look for/watch out for?
There isn’t much that go wrong with these cars, it might be the most
reliable Toyota ever built, which is saying something.  That said,
parts are expensive for a Japanese car, though not quite as costly as
you’d expect for an equivalent German luxury car.  


My car has a leaking EGR pipe.  The part costs about $100 but it’s a 
real pain to install, requiring removal of the intake manifold and a 
good half day of cursing and knuckle busting.  I was going to do it 
myself but have decided against it since I’ve made the decision to let 
go of the car.  Besides the EGR pipe, the car has no mechanical and 
very few cosmetic flaws.  It’s a gorgeous, near time-warp car and I get 
compliments on it all the time.  I’ll use a really stale (but accurate) 
seller’s cliché and say it’s probably one of the nicest examples left.



3. Explain the impact of this car on the Japanese auto industry.
The program was started in the mid-Eighties, when the Japanese were
really hitting their stride in quality and beginning to lead in
engineering.

Toyota had something like 450 prototype cars and 900 development
engines tested.  The suspension castings are beautiful, sculptural
pieces.  The dipsticks are heavy braided steel cables with large T
handles that lock into place with a satisfying click.  The gauges are
electroluminescent and have a holographic effect, warning lights seem
to float behind the gauges several inches away.  The door handles are
heavily sprung, thick and beautifully finished steel .  The body
fixtures (lights, markers, trim, etc.) are all spring-loaded to ensure
the flushest fit against shut lines – the shut lines themselves were
at the time considered to be unattainable in a mass-produced car.
Interestingly, 10 years later even Corollas were built to the panel
standards – and I guess that about sums up what the car meant for the
Japanese industry.  


It proved to the world that they had what it took
to compete with anyone and beat them on quality, engineering and
price.  It inspired them and gave them the confidence to pursue other
ambitious cars previously thought to be out of their league, and there
was a definite trickle-down effect to more every-day type cars as
well.  The NSX, 300ZX, FD RX-7 and Mk IV Supra and even later 
landmark cars like the Prius owe a lot to the UCF10 LS400 in my 
opinion.



4. How would you compare this to European luxury cars?
It lacks their sense of style and history.  It probably doesn’t handle
as well as its European competitors.  It lacks a lot of their
eccentricities of design and therefore can come off as a little cold,
less human somehow.  It feels very special, but more in a techy and
crushingly efficient way than the traditional handcrafted and
luxurious way that an expensive European car can feel.



5. What do you like about this car the most?  The least?
I like its understated style.  I like the way it rides, how quiet and
comfortable it is.  I like how a feeling of quality and depth of
engineering permeate the entire car.

I dislike that it’s completely uninvolving to drive.  This is more a
fault of my own than of the car’s.  I thought I wanted a luxury car
for a change, but I found out that they’re not really my cup of tea –
not as a daily driver at least.



6. How expensive are parts and repairs?
As previously mentioned, parts are more expensive than the average
Japanese car’s, but still undercut what you’d expect to pay for a
similar European car.  Lexus dealerships are known for fantastic
service, but at great cost.  Do the work yourself and save.



7. What does the LS400 mean to you?
It means historical significance, technical achievement and total
quality.  It’s one of the most important cars ever built, in my
opinion, and that thought is always present when I drive it.



8. Why are you selling it?
I want another light, RWD sports car.  I’m looking at MR2 Spyders and
the upcoming BRZ/FT-86, though I’ll probably go for the MR2 and wait a
few years for a used Subieyota.


9. Tell us a little bit about the cars you have owned, you own now,
and your next purchase.
I’ve owned a lot of cars, some great, some not so much.  In no
particular order from what I can remember - a few first gen MR2s, a
’73 Fiat 124 Spider, a Tracker 2 door 2WD, a Ford Ranger, an ’89
Tercel, an ’87 Camry, an ’05 Tiburon, a 2000 Jetta, an FC RX-7, a
Citroen DS and an NSU Ro80 (both, at best, parts cars – probably
beyond repair, definitely beyond my means/ability).  Current cars
include a 2000 Legacy Outback wagon 5 speed and a 2005 STi, I 
love a good Subaru.



10. Why do you love cars?
My dad bought me a poster of a Countach when I was 3 or 4 years old
and I was mesmerized by its outrageous beauty.  I would lay awake at
night staring at it for hours.  Later on as I began to devour car
magazines I became more interested in the mechanical aspect, and began
to see beauty in engineering – a copy of Le Pur Sang, a book on
classic Ettore-era Bugattis, really cemented this mechanical fixation
when I was 11 or 12.  I’m a design nerd, and for me nothing
encapsulates the beauty of aesthetic form and of technical function
better than cars.  The whole intoxicating smell, sound and speed
are all added bonuses.

Craigslist ad here.

5 comments:

Alan said...

That was a lot of fun, thanks for asking, Maxilane.

If I were keeping it I'd replace or refinish the hubcaps - that would make a huge difference as the originals are yellowing and peeling.

Edvin said...

Interesting stuff, I've always been fascinated by the LS400 (compared to the E32 and E38) and this pretty much confirmed my preconceptions. I'd probably have owned one if they were cheaper over here.

Edvin said...

Hmm, apparently their prices have dropped drastically since I last looked. A tidy example can be had for around $5800. Still, there's the issue of fuel consumption and the price of fuel.

http://www.nettiauto.com/lexus/ls/4609132?sitelang=1

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Thanks again. If you ever decide to keep it, I can go to Rolling Stock in San Francisco for you. It has decent hubcaps for virtually every car known to man.

@Edvin: Is the sun ever intense enough in Finland to crack dashboards?

Edvin said...

It's not really a problem here. We usually only see that on Mediterranean/US imports or on a few select models with poor quality dashboards (like Ford Sierras for instance).