Friday, March 09, 2012

2012 F1 season, things to look for


Can't believe the season is finally upon us.  These are not necessarily predictions, but observations.
  • Kimi, Kimi, Kimi.  His monotonous, mumbling interviews and his ice cream breaks mid-race are just as entertaining as his driving.  Welcome back!
  • A win for Nico?  Will the W03 deliver Rosberg's maiden win?
  • Too little, too late for Massa?  It doesn't look like Ferrari is capable of competing for wins, at least in Australia.  So even if Massa performs just as well as Alonso this season, will it be enough to keep his job?
  • Points finish for Caterham.  If Heikki and Caterham keep the momentum going from last season, they should be able to score a point or two this season.  Petrov will be assuming the role of the man he replaced, Jarno Trulli-- useless No. 2.
  • End of Lewis/Jenson bromance?  If McLaren is a serious contender for the Constructors' Championship, will there be tension between its two drivers?
  • Heidfeld's return?  If a current driver seriously underperforms or, gods forbid, gets hurt, will Heidfeld fill in?  He is only contracted to drive the first three races in the FIA WEC season (Sebring in March, Spa in May, Le Mans in June).  Is that because Rebellion wouldn't give him a longer contract, or because he wanted to keep his options open?
  • The abyss that Williams is in.  With two mediocre pay drivers-- Senna and Maldonado-- how low will it go?
What are you looking for this season?

3 comments:

Peter Dushenski said...

I'm expecting a few things this season:
-Kimi on a podium or two
-Nico won't win but the W03 could be fast enough that Michael does
-W03 will beat out F2012 on the season
-Seb to take the Driver's Championship
-McLaren to take the Team Championship
-Lewis will win more than Jenson

Maxichamp said...

@Peter: I'm no Tifosi, but I kinda feel bad for Alonso and Massa.

Peter Dushenski said...

@kash I do and I don't. Massa has never been a top tier driver to me so I don't feel that bad for him. I also don't feel bad for Alonse because he seems like a dick, although one whose talent I respect immensely. I'd actually prefer to see Alonso at Red Bull rather than Webber. So I suppose I don't really feel bad for the Ferrari drivers as much as I hate to see such a storied and previously successful team struggle so pathetically.