Saturday, October 30, 2010

1990 Los Angeles Auto Show pictures

Being from Southern California, I made annual pilgrimages to the LA Auto Show as a kid.  A Vector fan recently asked for a picture I took of the American supercar.  While searching for it, I found these four photos from my 1990 trip.


1. Mitsubishi 3000GT.  Funny story behind this.  My friend in high school was caught pilfering at a local supermarket.  Though he didn't get in trouble with the law, he got in a lot of trouble with his strict parents.  About a week after the mini-heist, his dad made him watch a video called "Temptation".  He thought it was a Vatican-sanctioned instructional video on the deadly sin of misdemeanor theft.  Well, it was actually a cheesy promo video for the 3000GT.



2. Mercedes 500SL.  With a shelf life of 17 years (1972-1989), I thought the R107 SL was going to be THE Mercedes convertible forever.  When the R129 came out, I was dumbfounded.  It was so... modern.  When I first read about it, the coolest feature was the roll bar that sprung up in the event of a roll over.


3. Bentley Turbo R.  I really do not remember digging Bentleys when I was a kid, and I certainly don't remember taking this picture.  But today, if I could have any Bentley, it would be this red Turbo R.  Maybe it dug its way into my subconscious.


4. Vector.  If there was any wedge shaped car that boys in the 1980s coveted more than the Countach, it was this Vector.

6 comments:

Tarlan said...

Couldn't find how to attach the pics to message in here, the only way to send them to you is email, Just check out the link, may be interesting for you.
http://netwind.ru/09/05/mamonty.html

Maxichamp said...

@Tarlan: That's an incredible junk yard!

Tarlan said...

The story of that yard are very interesting: an old russian engineer from one of the car factory became a mad after ussr collapsed, he sell his flat in Moskou and put all his money on the rubbish cars, moe to country side and living with them alone, a lot of people come to this yard and try to save that cars, offers him a money, but he is crasy, he wouldd't sell them but he is not going to restore them. Got some updates for Azerbaijans taxis, very funny ones, how to send them to you?

Maxichamp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shadeone said...

Are these the only pictures you have from the show? I have been searching for a LONG time for pictures of my car from that show. It was the display car for Lotus. It was a red 1990 Lotus Esprit SE that is the car you see on my website: http://www.shadeone.com
I have yet to see any pics of my car on that showroom floor and am getting pretty desperate in my search. Let me know if you have any leads or anything!

Thanks!
Jamie

Maxichamp said...

@shadeone: Sorry. That's all the pictures I have. Nice Lotus, BTW.