Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Misleading Presidential Inauguration Invitation

In the last few days, about one million people received "invitations" to the inauguration. It's all very official looking (it is, sort of). The envelope says HANDLE WITH CARE. It's from THE PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURAL COMMITTEE.

Most of the recipients will be understandably excited. But then, there's the fine print. It's an invitation to all the public events at the inauguration. Oh, and by the way, if you can't make it, you can buy a commemorative set of 4 glass tumblers decorated with gold Inaugural Seal for $35 or a super soft recycled cotton blanket for $150. Shipping and handling and applicable taxes extra.


Don't get me wrong. I am excited about the inauguration and the Obama presidency. I donated to the campaign and traveled to Nevada, not once, but twice, to help with election efforts. The purpose of these invitations is symbolic. But I have noticed the following reactions on the net from those who received the "invites":
1. Gullibility: "When I show my invite in DC, what special events will I be able to get into?"
2. The prize winner: "I heard that 5,000 Obama volunteers were randomly chosen to receive this invitation. I was picked!"
3. Jaded: "It's just a gimmick to push tacky chachkis.
4. Honor: "I know it's just a symbolic invitation, and I'm honored."

I look at it with disfavor. There are a lot of unsophisticated people out there, many of whom are Obama supporters. Sending these invites to them is akin to a sweepstakes letter declaring that the recipient has won a million dollars. The recipient is tricked and duped, albeit unintentionally in this case. It's kinda sad.


We are going to keep the invite as a memento. But what this piece of paper means to many people-- false hope-- makes me uneasy.

CKY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i'm a reporter for the wall street journal. i'd like to talk about your post on the inaugural invitation. can you get in touch by e-mail and tell me where i can reach you by phone? thanks much
barry newman
barry.newman@wsj.com

Maxichamp said...

Hello, Mr. Newman. Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, I am not going to be available this long weekend. However, you are more than welcome to quote/mention what I posted. Thanks.