Sunday, January 04, 2009

Carspotting (2): 1976 Porsche 912E

I don't consider myself a Porsche-phile, but I definitely think I can identify most Porsche models thrown at me. When I saw this "911" outside a drug store, I assumed the obvious.

After I snapped the picture, I walked to the rear hood just to double check. I was surprised to find the "912E" badge.

The Type 923 was a U.S.-spec Porsche sold only in 1976. It was a stop gap measure. It replaced the 914/6 and was to be replaced by the not-quite-ready 924. The 912E had a 2 liter engine derived from the 914 (read VW) and had a 911 body (hence my confusion). According to the 912 Registry, the 2,099th (and final) 912E was the last air-cooled four cylinder Porsche ever made. Also, with its 21 gallon fuel tank and fuel efficient engine, it had the longest range of any Porsche.

We learn something new (or 2 or 3) everyday.

CKY

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice car. I own a 912e the 69th one built. 18k original miles. These cars aren't fast but great crusiers. Mine averages about 30mpg. I love it.

Maxichamp said...

Cool. You own a piece of obscure Porsche history!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.