Saturday, April 04, 2020

My Daily Driver: @markmitchellbro's Volvo S80 3.2


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

In December 2019, I was working as the Sales Manager for my local Kia dealer when an excellent job opportunity I had not been seeking out came and found me, taking me out of the auto industry.  In retrospect, with all that's going on today it was good timing!  Anyways, before I knew the job offer was coming, I had a demo vehicle, my wife drives our family Sorento, so just about a week before the job offer, I sold my beloved but superfluous 2005 BMW 330Ci, which was starting to get a bit frustrating with repairs/maintenance.  Fast forward a week, I'm putting in my two weeks notice (on good terms), and now I need a car again because my demo's going back!

Any reasonable, practical person would have simply chosen any one of the vehicles from the excellent selection of reasonable, practical cars we had on the used lot at the time, but I'm a moron, so I spent the next week scouring used car ads for my next vehicle.  My gut was telling me to get an old pickup truck plus a cheap classic or sports car, but several people (not least of whom was my longsuffering wife) dissuaded me.  I found this Volvo in the as-traded inventory of our nearest Volvo dealer and found myself continually revisiting the ad.  I'd always liked the S80 - it's a bit uncommon, and I always find myself lusting after big comfy sedans.  I had never experienced one, but reviews convinced me it would be a fine vehicle.  The car was about 100km away, and I didn't really have a chance to go see it, but I know the GM there and trusted my interaction with him regarding the car.  My GM at the Kia dealer kindly allowed me to purchase the vehicle through the Kia dealer so that I could write my own deal, control rates, and avoid fees, so I'm still satisfied with the deal I got.  The Volvo dealer drove it down for me, I had a remote starter installed as well as new winter alloys + tires, and I took possession a couple days before new job time.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Well, here's the problem - I'm discovering I really don't care that much for it.  The car itself has been mostly fine - details to follow - but I just have no love for it, no bonding.  I just keep wishing I'd gone with my gut and bought a truck + a classic or sports car.  The car did arrive with a "park assist system" error, which I was not told about and which irked me a bit, but I had it scanned and it said three rear sensors and one front sensor were bad.  I ordered replacements and fitted them myself (more on that later) but the error persists.  Front right strut bearing seems to be shot as well, need to get that addressed.  Otherwise, the vehicle is comfortable with an outstanding ride and superb seats.  Engine is plenty powerful, and the stereo sounds great.  It's one of the only S80s in my town, which I kinda like.  Steering isn't amazing but it does the job.

What I'm coming to realize, however, is that, despite years of reading about big sedans in magazines, and agreeing with those online in love with the things, I just don't think I'm a big sedan kind of guy!  Having never had a history of being a truck guy, I now can't stop thinking about experiences I had with them when working in the industry.  Additionally, after ending up with a rental Mustang Ecoboost in Florida earlier this month (long story), I was reminded how much I also enjoy sporty vehicles/coupes, and how I really just want those two types of vehicles in my life.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

My first reaction to this question was "I don't have any fond memories with this car."  But then I remembered the parking sensor replacement (I know, a weird memory to be fond of).  After watching way too much Car Wizard and WatchJRGo on YouTube, I had a hankering to wrench again for the first time in many years, so I ordered up some replacement parking sensors.  On a nice, sunny, social-distancing weekend, I went out to replace them, and my 7-year-old son wanted to "help."  Well, he actually was a legitimate help, removing wheel bolts (after I loosened them) and helping me remove and later re-fit the bumper covers.  We had a great time together, and I was able to show him the different components of the braking and suspension systems on the car.


4. Why do you love cars?

No idea!  I got my first toy car when I was 6 months old (a Renault 5, since I can already hear you asking) and that interest has just been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  Not sure where it came from - although my family members certainly don't dislike cars, there's no one else who's really into them (until my boys came along).  But when I was 5 or so, I was already naming all the cars in the parking lots, devouring magazines and buyer's guides, and I once pointed out to the owner of the local Mercury store (at the time) that his vehicle had the wrong hubcaps on (they were his winter set)!  My interest in cars has never waned or been usurped by other hobbies.  I'm just a car guy through and through.


---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: