Thursday, April 02, 2020

My Daily Driver: @ArtisanLoaf's Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI Estate


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

My previous car, a Skoda Octavia 1.8T 4X4 had just survived a long trip around continental Europe, but was in very rough shape mechanically (turbo, clutch, abs, traction control/4x4 faults, oil leaks), and with an MOT expiring in a matter of days, I didn't want to sink more than the Skoda was worth into another round of repairs for the second time in 6 months, so another car was in order.

I needed something with decent fuel economy, and plenty of load space to get me through the next few months. The last car I wanted to buy was an Astra estate, as I'd had several as company cars some years ago... But this one appeared on Autotrader, for sale by a dealer literally down the road from me. It had a fresh MOT, timing belt had just been done, had the best of the 3 possible diesel engine options. A 1.7 turbo diesel designed by Isuzu, rather than the 1.3 or 1.9 turbo diesels designed by FCA, which found their way into many Vauxhalls.

The car itself is rather tatty, having previously been owned by a painter decorator as a work vehicle, but mechanically it was sound, and the dealer was happy to take my Skoda in part-exchange. I had intended to scrap it, as I didn't have time to sell a running and driving, but project Skoda that wasn't worth anything. The convenience of the deal made it impossible to turn down.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

All as expected really. I've only had the car for a couple of months at this point. It's slow, the engine is unrefined, but it handles reasonably well and has been comfortable on long journeys. No issues to report so far, and it manages a respectable 50mpg (41mpg US) on a motorway run.

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

Buying it as a cheap, bottom of the market used car, where everything on it actually works. Not that there is much in the way of features on this base model example.


4. Why do you love cars?

I'm not really into motorsport, or fast cars. The best cars to me, are the most practical and reliable workhorses. Allowing me to make my own way across a country, or continent, on my own schedule, with whatever I want or need to bring with me. Private car ownership symbolizes freedom and opportunity for me. Some of them look cool too, so that's nice.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: