Monday, April 06, 2020

My Daily Driver: @lahtiain's Peugeot 406 coupe


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

The looks. My first car was a 406 sedan, 200k miles when I bought it. It was way better car than I ever expected, so I became a bit fond of the 406s. Naturally the Pininfarina styled coupé was one to get, so in 2013 I imported this example from Germany to Finland.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Pretty fine. You see occasional airbag lights, but they're generally way better build than you'd expect. Mechanicals are strong, and the V6 is trouble free engine. It's a grand tourer, comfortable long distance drives suit it much better than occasional twisty roads. It's a relatively heavy front wheel drive car after all.

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

Picking it up from Böblingen, right next to Stuttgart in Germany, then finding out that the planned ferry from Sweden to Finland is fully booked. That meant reaching another ferry a day earlier: I had about 20 hours to cover a bit over 1 000 miles. I did that in three stops. Very good way to bond with your new car.


4. Why do you love cars?

Car has a simple task of offering us better mobility, but it achieves this through very complicated mix of design, engineering and cultural behaviour. It's the most complicated thing most individuals can own.

Of course I just generally love driving.

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

1 comment:

Alan said...

I began reading CAR and evo around the time these were new, and I remember them receiving glowing coverage. I've wanted one since. A Peugeot 306 GTI6 from the same era is my dream Euro hot hatch. That brand really went downhill fast in the early 2000s.