Friday, February 26, 2021

Diamonds Are Forever movie review

Connery is back in the seventh Bond film, Diamonds Are Forever.

Dave's review: Let the tongue-in-cheek era of Bond begin. This is not one of my favorite films. There is very little real suspense and some scenes are downright ridiculous, like Bond fighting a couple of scantily clad women named Bambi and Thumper. Jill St. John's Tiffany Case is dumb as a twit and annoying. And I won't even get started with Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. Charles Gray, playing Blofeld, was better in his miniscule role in You Only Live Twice. Honestly on that point, the entire film completely fails. You take the emotional ending of OHMSS and the pre-credits sequence where Bond hunts down Blofeld simply glosses over what killing Blofeld would really mean to 007. There are a few really snazzy one liners such as "I didn't know there was a pool down there" and my favorite, "It's a much smoother ride in the front, Mr. Franks" but overall Connery's much anticipated return to the franchise is a complete dud.

TT's review: This was just a bad movie. Kidd and Wint, as a creepy couple, did not do the LGBT community any favors. And Connery. He looked so old! Even though he was only 40 when the movie was shot, he looked 50+. 

I will tell you what I enjoyed. That English Channel hovercraft. Old school Vegas. Circus Circus! In the 80s, my mom would give me a roll of quarters to play video games and she would be off gambling.

I don't know if anyone made this weird connection. I got to thinking about it because Jill St. John (Tiffany Case) is married to Robert Wagner (Austin Powers's Number Two). Plenty O'Toole was played by Lana Wood, whose sister was Natalie Wood. Natalie was once married to Wagner and she died under mysterious circumstances when she was on a boat with Wagner.

Dave's response: I must say, the connections among those people are fascinating. That would make for a much more interesting movie than Diamonds are Forever! 

TT's response: I agree with everything. This was a huge letdown and a lost opportunity after OHMSS.

Dave's grade: D+

TT's grade: C-


No comments: