Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Scirocco versus Impulse

H/t to Edvin.

View this post on Instagram
Nearly identical: VW said no to Giorgetto Giugiaro’s design proposal for the Mk2 Scirocco, but made its own update on his Mk1. Giuguaro then sold the design to Isuzu for the Impulse. . . So here we have cars with almost identical silhouettes and similar detailing. But one (ironically with the longer front overhang) is longitudinal RWD, the other transverse FWD. . . One of them is a Mk1 GTI underneath with four wheel discs, more power and a lower center of gravity. The other is a rebodied Chevrolet Chevette. So guess which one drives better... . . Which one aged better? You know I have my answer... . . #VW #Scirocco16v #SciroccoMk2 #Volkswagen #VWClassic #Giugiaro #GiugiaroDesign #ItalDesign #GiorgettoGiuaro #AceOfClubs #isuzu #impulse #isuzuimpulse #impulseturbo #piazza #isuzupiazza #HoldenPiazza #Chevette #1980sCars #identicalcousins
A post shared by Jason Cammisa (@jasoncammisa) on

4 comments:

m4ff3w said...

Is it wrong that I like the Impulse a billion times more.

I briefly had a turbo. I need another.

Maxichamp said...

@m4ff3w: Did you give up on the restoration?

m4ff3w said...

Yes, life got in the way....

Anonymous said...

The Impulse looks much better to me as well. Maybe because the Scirocco looks a lot like the VW Gol you can see around here as a cheap old dilapidated cars. The Impulse looks retrofuturistic.

I just realize I probably haven't seen either in person.