Sunday, May 06, 2018

Eating the Globe: Latvia

I was supposed to go to a Senegalese restaurant last week, but work got in the way. So yesterday, I went to a local Eastern European market to see what I could find.

Whenever I read old travelogues about the Soviet Union, people raved about Moldovan wine. The store had four different kinds. They all cost $10.99 per bottle, so I bought the one that came with a free cross. It was pretty strong and tasted of raisins.


I figured with canned foods, I could figure out what country the food was from. I bought this jar of Latvian smoked sprats. It only had three ingredients: sprats, canola oil, and salt.


I was too exhausted to cook anything elaborate, so I went online to look for simple Latvian sprats recipes. One just had you mush up the sprats with a fork and mix them with cooked pasta. I can do that.


The meal was okay. The fish was definitely smokey but it was not oily or salty at all. In fact, it was bland. I had to put some black pepper on top.


Countries tried so far:
Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Liberia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Somalia, South Africa, Tunisia, Zimbabwe
Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, Cambodia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
Europe: Albania, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine
North America: Belize, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Trinidad & Tobago, USA
South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela
Oceania: Australia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga

1 comment:

PB said...

Who shat in your fusili?