Saturday, February 05, 2022

I'm going to break/set a BART record

With Omicron quickly declining, I need to do something. Something big.

You may recall that in 2012, I rode to all 44 BART stations in 5h37m and set a record. I know it was a record because no one else had actually attempted it.

Since 2012, BART has added at least three new stations. I say at least three because I do not know for sure. As I write this blog post, I am researching it. So this is what BART looked like in 2012:

In 2012, I started at the northeast corner on the yellow line in Pittsburg. I went to SFO and Millbrae, doubled back on the red line to Richmond, where I peed, and then went south to Fremont, and then took the blue spur to Dublin/Pleasanton.

Below is the current map:

First, I have to start all the way in Antioch and take a Diesel Multiple Unit vehicle like this:

In order to save money (I assume), BART uses these new vehicles for the Antioch to Pittsburg portion. Just east of Pittsburg, I will have to transfer to one of the older, traditional BART trains.

The other change is the three new stations south of Fremont, i.e. Warm Springs, Milpitas, and Berryessa. That means there are a total of five new stations since my 2012 record setting run.

I'm not going to spend the time finding the optimum schedule. Since the record has never been set before, I will just go on a Saturday morning and do it. Let me do a hypothetical run now:

8:18 am Start at Antioch

9:58 am Arrive at SFO

Pee here?

10:26 am Leave SFO

10:30 am Arrive at Millbrae

10:35 am Leave Millbrae

11:41 am Arrive at Richmond

I have to pee here.

11:50 am Leave Richmond

1:11 pm Arrive at Berryessa

I can pee here.

1:44 pm Leave Berryessa

2:20 pm Arrive at Bay Fair

I can pee again.

2:41 pm Leave Bay Fair

2:58 pm Arrive at Dublin

Total: 6h40m. That's a long time. First, weekend schedules are already wonky. Second, BART is operating trains less frequently because of Covid. Its ridership is currently 25% of normal.

Let's do it!


No comments: