Saturday, March 28, 2020

My Daily Driver: @HanSolex's Toyota 4Runner


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

It wasn’t easy. My dad had a long line of Toyota trucks (and, for a time, a Cressida wagon) that really made a deep impression on my tastes: an ’80 4x4, ’84 2WD, and a ’96 2WD. I loved the look of the facelift Tacoma 4x4s of the same era as my dad’s last truck, and after moving back to Washington from Michigan I found a very clean ’98 extra-cab. My wife and I were very sure we didn’t want kids, I was never ever going to sell this truck, and we were looking forward to camping in it. We got here and decided to have kids instead. 

The Tacoma never reached its full potential, so after four years of ownership I sold it recently (at almost asking price, to the first tire-kicker on Craigslist) and started the hunt for a 4Runner that the whole family could go on camping adventures in. This 2004 4Runner V-8 beat out similar Prado-based Toyotas based on price and practicality, although I’d originally wanted a Lexus GX470. This one found me, so to speak. I was the second person to view it and made an offer on the spot. Seller didn’t even have time to clean it out—that’s how crazy demand in the Seattle area is for used Toyota 4x4s. It’s a mechanically clean V-8 with full-time 4WD, and after a mild lift it’s not just a concession to practicality and family-hauling needs, it’s a great upgrade over my old Tacoma.


2. What has your ownership experience been like?

I haven’t owned it that long, unfortunately, but so far it’s needed considerably less catch-up maintenance than the ’98 Tacoma. The previous owner didn’t think the timing belt had been done, and with 150k it was a pressing issue. Luckily the CarFax report showed a record for a timing belt service and I was able to confirm it’d been done by calling the shop. I also ditched its leaking X-REAS shocks (passive roll control!) for Bilsteins and re-booted an outer CV joint. It needs more aggressive tires and a properly sized battery, but otherwise it isn’t much of a project and I’m looking forward to using it to do the things I was never able to do with my family in the Tacoma.

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

I’m going to cheat and give you a Tacoma memory, since a trip I took in that truck to Banff is exactly what I’m hoping to do with the 4Runner once the Cascade trails are open and snow-free. At a previous job, some coworkers/friends and I took the Tacoma and its modern descendent from my house to Banff, exploring some of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route and spending a lot of time enjoying the unbelievable beauty of Banff National Park. I’m hoping to much more of the WABDR this year, and when my boys are a bit older just doing the sort of camping and fishing trips I did with my dad and siblings.


4. Why do you love cars?

I always have. From before I could talk. Neither of my parents are car people, even though they incidentally have owned some cool stuff. Not sure where it came from, but it’s been the defining aspect of my life.


---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: