Saturday, June 23, 2018

Eating the Globe: Bolivia


This was a tough one to cross off of my list. There is a "Bolivian" restaurant in San Francisco, but it's all-vegan. I never went there because I doubted its authenticity. But then, I happened to find on Yelp a donut shop in Redwood City that sold saltenas (with a tilde over the n). 

I went this morning and the owner said they just sold out and the next batch wouldn't be ready for another 30 minutes. Since I drove an hour to get there, I patiently waited with my son at the pet store next door.

The saltenas were delicious. In fact, this is definitely one of the top ten meals of this series. The inside is filled with meat (I bought one chicken and one beef), potatoes, peas, onions, and olives. They were savory, sweet, and spicy all at once. The pastry was perfect and not too greasy.

I'm not counting again, but I believe this is my 104th country!

Countries tried so far:
Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Liberia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Somalia, South Africa, Tunisia, Zimbabwe
Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, Cambodia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
Europe: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine
North America: Belize, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Trinidad & Tobago, USA
South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela
Oceania: Australia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga

No comments: