Sunday, July 10, 2016

Eating the Globe: Norway


For country 51, I used some Norwegian canned food. If I could sum it up in word, it would be SALTY.

The contents did not look good.


I first fried up the fish cakes in brown sauce (not gravy). It had the consistency of a much looser Thai fish cake appetizer. The sauce was essentially gelatinous salt with brown food coloring.



Here's the cod roe. The can's instructions told me to open the can on both ends, push the content out, and cut in 1 cm slices.


I don't think this is 1 cm, but I'm not a metric guy. It was dense like a brick. And dry. There are thousands, if not millions, of tiny fish eggs. The flavor reminded me of Japan. The quality of the food reminded me of a very cheap salmon filet.


Countries tried so far:


Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Morocco, South Africa


Asia: Afghanistan, Burma, China, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Yemen


Europe: Bosnia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Norway, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden


North America: Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, USA


South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela
Oceania: Tonga

1 comment:

Rich said...

I just had cod roe at a fish & chips joint in London! Between that and fresh herring in Amsterdam, I'm liking the northern European fishy eats. https://goo.gl/photos/9yDtAfJcLrNyBYfG9