I got the latest issue of GeoEx's travel catalog this weekend, and it has a trip to the North Pole in the new-ish Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker, 50-Year Victory. It is the largest in the world. The 14-day trip starts in Murmansk, where the RosAtomFlot fleet is based. The trip starts at $24,995. What a bargain!
And what is RosAtomFlot? It's a state enterprise with a fleet of:
- four icebreakers, each powered by two 75,000 horsepower nuclear reactors;
- two icebreakers, each powered by a single 50,000 hp reactor;
- a nuclear powered cargo ship with a 40,000 hp reactor;
- two service ships;
- a tanker for liquid radioactive waste; and
- a vessel for personnel cleanup and dose measurements.