Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Poverty

I just had a trippy, eye-opening day yesterday. My friend owns/manages duplexes and fourplexes all over Oakland and I tagged along with him. 
  • I got cussed out by a 3 year old and a 5 year old. 
  • I witnessed two octogenarians load/unload gas dryers from a pickup truck. Their compensation-- selling the old gas dryer for scrap. 
  • Mexican immigrants picking on Guatemalan immigrants. They paid Guatemalan ladies $60 a day for housekeeping work. They work 12 hour days. 
  • Six people living in a small one-bedroom unit. A washer and dryer were offered by the landlord but turned down because there was not enough room inside the apartment. 
  • A park was closed (with fences) because there was so much violence and drug activity. 
You and I are incredibly fortunate. Don't take anything for granted.

3 comments:

Alan said...

Every time I'm tempted to whine about something, I remind myself of my status in life, how fortunate I am. My mantra is "don't be a bitch".

Edvin said...

I wonder how many of Romney's supporters would still vote for him after spending a day like that?

mtc said...

I wonder how many of Romney's supporters would still vote for him after spending a day like that?

Romney's supporters would blame the poor for their plight. So, the answer to your question is 'all of them'.